The last days of Cottage Living

Someone sent me this link to Urban Grace Interiors.
And I’ve received many emails about the closing of Cottage Living magazine. Yes, it’s sad. Yes, it seems to be true. We are closing our pages.
It’s been a remarkable journey. I have been fortunate to work with a talented and passionate group of people who have continued to inspire me every single day since our launch in 2004.

Over the past year while on book tour, people have asked: Do you feel at home where you are now?
Although I always have a suitcase within arm’s reach, being part of Cottage Living magazine gave me a sense of home.

I will miss you all. Eleanor, our fearless leader, who is now at the Mothership…lucky, lucky Southern Living staff. Lindsay, who brought us together…we wish you well with all things coastal. The most stylish and sassy editors: Heather, Turner, Jennifer, Lindsey, Jessica, and Steele. Candace, our guide and unofficial associate food editor. Amy (the other unofficial foo editor) and Kate, my neighbors on either side of my office, who probably heard more than they wanted whether I was laughing or crying or pulling my hair out before a deadline. Inspiring art designers, Erynn and Dit. Jean whose pinkness I will miss. The wordsmiths, Susan and Mindy and Shannon and Donna (I am sleep-deprived like the rest of us, so forgive my punctuation). Those who were there in the beginning: Howard, and Robbie, and James, Haskell. Lydia and Beatty….I will also miss you, David wherever you may be in the world, and Lea Anne–I hope you will continue to be the keeper of our whereabouts. Robin, thank you for always being up for a tasting. Dan, who helped me more than you will know. (Jennifer, you, and I will have a great time in Paris.) Rex, who can shoot it, design it, and write it better than many. And Bob Newman, whose afternoon craving for sweets was always a joy. The photographers, Jim Franco, Rick Lew, Ray Kachatorian, Thayer Gowdy, Ben Fink, Becky Stayner…Contributors: Julia Reed, Paula Disbrowe, Jean Anderson, Karen Barker, Stephanie Basralian, Ana Kelly, and dear sweet Sara Foster who’s always ready to taste just one more bite.

Fabulous Interns: Parker, Amy Burke, Ashley, Rachel, and Carolyn.
I will miss the letters from readers asking for a recipe or a paint color. I will miss impromptu Champagne and moonshine tastings (work-related, of course) in my office with most of you (and you know who you are). I will miss hearing someone announce a wedding, a baby, a trip to Israel, Italy, New Zealand. I will miss the Cottage Living round of applause.
I know we are currently in denial, but we will be stronger, better people for all the pain and uncertainty. I will miss you all so very much.

Comments

1. November 20, 2008 8:30 pm by erika powell Reply

still sad and still hoping that someday you will all be back. the comments (of nothing but disbelief and devastation) on my blog are still coming through. i know it sounds crazy, but your readers loved your magazine as much as you loved creating it. your passion poured thru those pages and that’s what set you guys apart.
    still praying for all of you…

2. December 5, 2008 6:05 am by Lee Moates Reply

It is still so hard to believe……really! How could this happen to a magazine that was so LOVED by so many? I guess it is called “the economy stupid”! I just hate all of this and wish it would just go away. We just have to keep our EYES on things above and HOPE for the best. God be with us ALL!

3. December 5, 2008 2:24 pm by Olga Granda-Scott Reply

Dear Kim,
    It has taken me a while to write because I too was in disbelief about Cottage Living. These are strange changing times. We really enjoyed getting to meet you, Heather, and Ray during the shoot at our house. I will continue following and enjoying your blog, I’m sure you have many avenues to pursue. Keep me in all your updates.
    Bises,
    Olga

4. January 6, 2009 1:13 pm by Cathy O'Brien Reply

I am so very sad about your magazine closing. I have saved every copy of this magazine. I do think I am missing issues of the first year and would love to know how to obtain any of them – any recommendations would be appreciated.

I also hope that this magazine will be coming back; I will not give up hope!!

5. March 30, 2009 10:55 pm by Mira Reply

Sorry to read about your magazine closing

6. August 11, 2009 7:49 pm by Mariah Chavez Reply

Still missing my Cottage Living and my Organic Living. Why do the great magazines have to go?

Loved you guys….anything similar coming along soon, I hope?

MC

• August 12, 2009 7:01 am by kim Reply

Hi Mariah,

Thanks for your kind words. It’s unfortunate, but so many great magazines are folding.

7. May 22, 2012 9:53 pm by Christopher Carter Reply

Dear Kim,
    I was a subscriber to cottage living for a year. I still hold and carry around several back copies like prized first editions, OH, they are.
    Im sorry to say in hind site that I became uninterested in the content of the magazine that lost its way from it’s cover name.
    I thought cottage ment cottage, not the multi-thousand square foot homes. Sure its the idea of what could be accomplished. Nevertheless, the Bill Ingrams in South Alabama and the fairytale cottages hidden in California are still out here.

Its a little to late to say good bye, The magazine will be missed.
    Christopher

• May 23, 2012 10:08 am by Kim Reply

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your very thoughtful message. It was a sad day for many and I appreciate your thoughts. I agree that we should continue to celebrate the fairytale cottages and hidden bungalows (over the McMansions), especially when it comes to the table and nourishing our family and friends.

Best to you,
      K

8. July 5, 2013 8:35 pm by Tracey Reply

Clearly, you all left an impression. It has been over four years since Cottage Living closed, and yet I have still not found an adequate replacement. I have every issue of my two year subscription, plus back issues I found at used book stores. Tonight I decided to Google one more time to see if the online community offered any real alternatives or old articles that I missed, or just something to allay the nostalgia. I felt compelled to share my thoughts here. Cottage Living truly was an outstanding achievement. You all did good work. You are missed.