The Floating Island Writers’ Workshop

2010 Floating Island Workshop with Kim SuneeLast summer, we held our first and very successful writing workshop in Seaside, FL. There were poignant stories, fish tacos, salted caramel cupcakes, wine, Champagne, the sea, a roving gourmand (aka Pableaux) who cooked up red beans and rice, twilight dancing, and so much more.

I’ve received many requests to organize more writing workshops at the beach and elsewhere. This summer, we will launch another series and I’d like to welcome you to THE FLOATING ISLAND WRITERS’ WORKSHOP. Introductory and Advanced Workshops will focus on narrative nonfiction and memoir writing. However, as we evolve, we will also offer courses for writers interested in fiction, cookbooks/food, travel, and poetry.

The first sessions for 2010 will begin in Seaside, FL (with two sessions May 30-June 4; June 6-June 11). I am especially happy to announce that Chef Suvir Saran will be joining us May 30th and 31st for an exclusive cooking demo and book signing. I’ve written about Suvir in past posts. He is the author of two wonderful cookbooks, Indian Home Cooking and American Masala. This is your chance to meet Suvir and learn hands-on some of his favorite recipes.

Future locations for the Floating island are New Orleans, San Francisco, New York, North Carolina, Paris…the possibilities are endless.

Each Floating Island Workshop will eventually host a guest writer/agent/editor and a guest chef/cookbook author for cooking demos, book signings, and special dinners.

Please kindly forward this info to your friends who love words, food, and travel.
Please send along suggestions (in the comments section below) for future workshop locations, guest writers/agents/editors and guest chefs/cookbook authors.

I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you soon. Please see The Floating Island Writers’ Workshop for more information.

Comments

1. February 26, 2010 10:33 am by Lee Ann Foster Reply

Dear Kim,

I hungrily enjoyed your memoir – Trail of Crumbs – starting with the title down to your return to the fold, with the middle a complicated rendering of poignant yearning and life lived with intent … I loved how you opened the velvet rope to the uncensored world of your interior.

This workshop sounds splendidly Hemingwayish and I would love to attend, alas there are many pot simmering already. Perhaps you may consider coming to visit your Canadian cousins here in Vancouver BC.

2. February 26, 2010 10:37 am by kim Reply

Hi Lee Ann,

Thank you so much for the kind words about Trail of Crumbs. If the pots are already simmering, you should come and join me and write, cook, eat, and enjoy some sun!
    I was just in Toronto, actually, and had a wonderful time but was ready to see the sun again. I am dying to go to Vancouver…one of these days.
    Until then, will you consider joining us in Seaside?

3. February 26, 2010 3:26 pm by Rose Reply

Hi Kim – I am very interested in the first session. Do you have any more room for a spot that would also include lodging? I loved your book and would love the opportunity to meet you in person and work on my own memoir in the company of other like minded individuals.

4. February 27, 2010 10:38 am by Jann Reply

Dear Kim,
    I looked at your workshop PDF–it’s so beautiful! I wish I could join you on the floating island, but I’ve already made plane reservations for another island. I just wanted to let anyone reading this know what an INCREDIBLE teacher you are for memoir writing, and how much you helped move my “project” along. You might also consider Santa Fe for a future workshop?

5. March 3, 2010 3:33 am by yon richner Reply

Dearest Kim,

Participating in the 2009 writing workshop at Seaside, Florida changed not only my writing but my life as well.

The ocean breeze, the nourishing food, and supportive company helped me to write about my memories, giving me strength to embrace my future.

Thank you for the kind guidance you provided as I dipped my toes in the water toward becoming a writer.

Yon

6. June 2, 2010 9:28 am by John R Reply

Floating Island has been absolutely unforgettable (so far), and we still have a long way to go on this journey, as is true of all our journeys in life. My heartfelt thanks to you, Kim.

7. June 2, 2010 12:05 pm by sonja lother Reply

This workshop week is a dynamic event filled with cogent, on target information, with definite instructions on how to refine one’s craft, whether is be writing a memoir, fiction, or non-fiction. Kim is open and inclusive, and her sessions are thoughtfully driven by example, reflection, and wise advice from this best-selling author.
    It’s exciting to see how she involves each participant and creates an engaging environment that spurs creativity, connection, and yes, even relaxation. It is Seaside after all.
    I would recommend this workshop to anyone who wants to find their true voice, and hone their craft as a writer.

SONJA LOTHER