I had been lamenting to a friend in California that I never get any interesting snail mail anymore. It’s all electronic. Even friends who have my phone number send me messages via Facebook or Twitter, rather then calling me up so I can hear a real voice. My friend got the hint and sent me a care package with tins of snails. I was thrilled by the gesture, which sent me into a tizzy of what to do with my mail of snails…
So my new package left me dreaming for a few days of how to honor my tin of snails…
1) I could sauté them with the classic butter, garlic, parsley combination
2) same as above and sauté wild mushrooms as well, add a squeeze of lemon and a dollop of creme fraiche
3) same as #1 and toss into hot pasta with fried capers and toasted bread crumbs
4) In France, a friend from Basque country would visit and cook snails and mussels down in a tomato-red pepper sauce with pimenton, lots of garlic and serve it forth on crusty bread.
5) soak in buttermilk and dredge them in a cornmeal and deep fry them, serve them on toast with fresh mint leaves and shaved spring onion (a la fried rabbit livers at Cochon)
6) same as #1 and pile onto potato puree
DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE RECIPE FOR SNAILS???