Triple-Ginger Crabapple Spice Cake
Yield: 1 (9-inch) cake | Total time: 1 hour 10 min
"Once every year, I get together with a friend and make large batches of crabapple cakes. She chops the crabapples and I mix up the batter. We make 6 to 8 cakes, freeze them in quarters, and then savor them all winter long. We always make chocolate crabapple cakes, but this year, we added this one to our repertoire. I wanted to create a cake with the added zing of ginger, which holds up nicely to the tangy crabapple. To freeze, cut to desired serving size, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Label and freeze for up to 6 months." --Jennifer McGovern
photo by Jennifer McGovern
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup diced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 cups cored and coarsely-chopped crabapples (see photo above)
- Gingered Whipped Topping (optional; recipe below)
Spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
Whisk first 7 ingredients (flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ground ginger, baking soda, and baking powder) together in a medium bowl; reserve. In a separate bowl, cream both sugars and butter with a hand mixer or in bowl of stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, cream cheese and fresh ginger. Combine until well-blended and smooth. Stir in candied ginger and yogurt.
- Slowly stir in reserved flour-spice mixture, and fold in crabapples. Scrape batter into prepared springform pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before eating. This cake is good warm or cold.
Serve, if desired, with Gingered Whipped Cream: Using a hand mixer, whip 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream with 1/4 teaspoon sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in 2 Tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger.
Date Published: October 8, 2012
All recipes have been tested by the KimSunée.com Test Kitchens unless otherwise noted.