Sautéed Zucchini with Pine Nuts and Green Salsa Verde
Yield: makes 4 servings | Total time: 15 min
- 1 cup packed fresh herbs, such as basil, mint, flat-leaf parsley and/or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons capers in brine, rinsed and drained (If using salted capers, rinse well)
- 1/4 cup white wine or champagne vinegar (or fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (or other summer squash), sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- A handful of dried currants (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (or walnuts or hazelnuts)
- Place herbs, capers, vinegar, a pinch of salt and some pepper in the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse once or twice to combine. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of olive oil while pulsing a few more times. Be careful not to puree the mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet. Dry the zucchini rounds on a paper towel and add half to the hot oil; sauté, turning and tossing the zucchini every few minutes until golden brown on both sides, for a total of about 8 minutes. Avoid the temptation to add salt at this point--you don't want your zucchini to water out. Remove first batch of cooked zucchini onto a plate. Heat remaining olive oil in the pan and cook the remaining zucchini.
- If using dried currants, soak in a few tablespoons of warm water or orange juice.
- Add first batch of cooked zucchini back into the pan. Toss in the garlic and red pepper flakes, if using. Taste and add salt, as needed. Add a few cracks of fresh ground black pepper. Add currants, if using. Toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature with the Green Salsa Verde. Serve with toasted bread and fresh burrata cheese or ricotta or as a main course over steamed quinoa.
Date Published: February 18, 2015
All recipes have been tested by the KimSunée.com Test Kitchens unless otherwise noted.