Hot days, first swim, strolling the markets in the Crescent City and Washington DC, but no peaches or cherries yet. In anticipation of summer, I’ve pulled out some frozen cherries and peach slices from my freezer and am baking a cake with what I have on hand. I think this would be good with fresh chopped basil or lemon verbena or a syrup made of either herb.
I Want Summer Now Cake
Inspired by Paula Disbrowe's Blue Cornmeal Blackberry muffins from her ultra cool cookbook, COWGIRL CUISINE, I came up with this recipe for I Want Summer Now Cake.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain non-fat yogurt (only had 1 cup yogurt, so supplemented with 1/2 cup creme fraiche)
- 1/3 cup almond oil (I like La Tourangelle)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 generous cups frozen fruit such as peaches, cherries (or fresh when summer allows)
- sliced almonds (or pine nuts)
Preheat oven to 375°.
Grease 1 (8-inch) square cake pan.
Whisk first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine yogurt and next 5 ingredients together in a medium bowl. Using a rubber spatula, fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed. Fold in frozen fruit (or fresh when summer comes).
Fill pan and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Top with almonds or pine nuts. Rotate pan and bake another 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and when tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Place on cooling rack and serve warm or at room temperature.
Good with frozen yogurt or sweetened creme fraiche and chopped fresh basil or lemon verbena.
Date Published: April 27, 2009
All recipes have been tested by the KimSunée.com Test Kitchens unless otherwise noted.