Whole Grain, Nut, and Fruit Bars
Yield: Makes 9 to 12 bars | Total time: 45 min
As is, this is vegan-friendly and can also be gluten-free if you choose gluten-free versions of some of the ingredients below. For a more cake-like texture, stir in two eggs* once the applesauce has been added. I really like the crunch of quinoa in this bar, but feel free to experiment with your favorite seeds, nuts and grains. I prefer Bob's Red Mill products for the ingredients listed below.
This is a perfect portable snack for camping, hiking, or post-workout. Kids love it too.
- ½ cup smooth almond butter or peanut butter
- ¼ cup cold-pressed olive oil
- ¼ cup liquid honey
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, preferably organic
- 2 eggs (optional; *see note above)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, preferably Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed, preferably Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, chopped dried cherries, or chopped dates
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup quinoa, preferably Bob’s Red Mill
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly grease an 8-x-8-inch baking pan.
- Combine almond butter, olive oil, and honey together in a small saucepan over medium heat, and stir until just melted and combined. OR, place in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 20 seconds or just until the almond butter is smooth. Remove from heat and whisk to combine. Add applesauce, (eggs, if using) and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, sunflower seeds and remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add the olive oil-almond butter mixture to the dry ingredients in the bowl and stir until well combined. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan, spreading with a rubber spatula or pressing with your hands to create an even layer. Bake for 40 minutes or until firm and golden. Let cool completely in pan; cut into squares or rectangles and serve. Store, once completely cooled, in an airtight container or plastic resealable bag.
Date Published: May 25, 2016
All recipes have been tested by the KimSunée.com Test Kitchens unless otherwise noted.