Sara Foster’s Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Yield: makes 12 sandwich cookies | Total time: 20 min
This recipe was created by my good friend, Sara Foster of Foster's Markets in North Carolina and author of many excellent cookbooks. Sara and I worked together for years when I was food editor at Cottage Living magazine. This cookie, from one of our holiday stories, was a huge hit in the test kitchens but I don't often make them; they're hard to resist, even for someone like me who don't have a sweet tooth. I love the richness of the creamy peanut butter and cream cheese-filling against the crunchy slightly salty peanut cookie. I added some raspberry currant jam, and if you do as well, keep in mind not to add too much as it makes the cookies a bit soggy by the next day. These make for very happy recipients, especially this time of year. Recipe adapted from Sara Foster.
For the Cookies:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Creamy Peanut Butter Filling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease two large cookie sheets.
- Beat together butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture until well-blended. Scoop dough 1 rounded teaspooon at a time onto cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. The dough should yield about 24 cookies. Dip the back of a fork in remaining tablespoon of sugar and press cookies flat with sugared fork.
- Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove pans from oven and let cookies cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make sandwich cookies, spoon about 1 tablespoon Creamy Peanut Butter Filling onto flat side of `12 cookies. Top each with another cookie, flat side down to make a sandwich.
- Combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
For the Peanut Butter Filling:
To make the Peanut Butter Cookies:
To make the Creamy Peanut Butter Filling:
Date Published: December 17, 2014
All recipes have been tested by the KimSunée.com Test Kitchens unless otherwise noted.