Click here to print
Flourless Hazelnut Chocolate Torte
- Unsalted butter or cooking spray, for greasing the pan
- For the cake:
- 7 ounces/200 grams (about 1 1/2 cups) blanched hazelnuts (or almonds) or hazelnut or almond meal, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- 7 ounces/200 grams good-quality dark chocolate, preferably minimum 60-70% cacao
- 7 ounces/14 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 10-12 pieces
- 6 ounces (just under 1 cup) granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature and separated
- Optional additions: splash of kirsch or rum, orange zest, vanilla extract,
- For the Ganache:
- 1 cup unsweetened or bittersweet dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oven to 325° F. Grease and line with parchment, one (10-inches in diameter with 2 3/4-inch high sides) round springform pan. Grease the parchment; set aside.
- If using whole hazelnuts, lightly toast the nuts and place in a food processor. Pulse into a fine meal; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a water bath (a small heatproof bowl or pot set inside a slightly larger pot filled halfway with water). Bring to a low simmer and let chocolate melt. Remove bowl from water bath and stir in the butter, stirring with a silicon spatula or wooden spoon until melted. Add sugar and almond meal and stir just to combine. Once mixture is no longer hot, add the egg yolks and any additional flavorings, if using.
- Whip the egg whites until soft and fluffy. Very gently fold the whipped whites into the chocolate-hazelnut mixture just until blended together, being careful not to deflate the whites. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake, rotating pan after 15 minutes, for 32 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out mostly dry; it’s ok if a few crumbs stick to the tester. NOTE: It’s important not to overbake this cake. Let cool in pan at least 20 minutes. Unmold and gently place on a cake stand or serving plate. NOTE: Cake can be made one day ahead, cooled completely and wrapped in plastic wrap; leave on the kitchen counter until ready to top with ganache and serve.
- Make the ganache: In a heatproof/microwave safe bowl combine the chocolate and cream and heat just until the cream starts to get warm. Stir chocolate into cream until thick and glossy and well-combined. Pour ganache over and spread evenly over the cake. Let stand at least 30 minutes so the ganache “sets.” Serve with fresh whipped cream, if desired.
Date Published: December 22, 2016
All recipes have been tested by the KimSunée.com Test Kitchens unless otherwise noted.
Recipe printed from Kim Sunée: http://kimsunee.com
URL to article: http://kimsunee.com/recipes/flourless-hazelnut-chocolate/
Click here to print
Copyright © 2017 Kim Sunée. All rights reserved.