No Grits, No Glory

I’m into the final testing of recipes for Tupelo Honey Cafe and their upcoming cookbook. Today, I had a kitchen full of grits–McEwen and Sons stone ground grits, quick-cooking, yellow, blue…Here are some shots from today’s testing: fried green tomatoes and basil goat cheese grits. A dash of Tabasco green pepper sauce is always a good accompaniment. Next up: shrimp and grits, and cheesy fried grits cakes…

Go Green with a dash of Tabasco

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO EAT GRITS?

Comments

1. April 11, 2010 1:44 pm by Donna Reply

A fried grit cake with Creole sauce. Or cheese grits. With grillades. Is there any way not to love (well-prepared) grits?

• April 12, 2010 6:45 am by kim Reply

Yes, grits with grillades and a nice spicy bloody mary make a perfect brunch!

2. April 12, 2010 9:46 am by Dan Reply

I like my grits battered and fried. With an aged cheese–gouda or cheddar, ideally.

3. April 12, 2010 11:12 am by Martha Reply

I love cheese grits with hot biscuits, etc. for brunch…Caesar salad with fried grits croutons and oysters for lunch and dinner…..shrimp & grits………yum!

4. April 12, 2010 12:54 pm by Brian Reply

Grits remind me of my grandmother’s Southern cooking on a Sunday morning: Scrapple, eggs, grits and pan made biscuits with a cream gravy. Yummy and heart attack inducing; although she did live until 93.

5. April 12, 2010 7:48 pm by Sally Reply

Wow, amazing photos that make me want to try these recipes. I’ve been craving shrimp and grits, can’t wait to see that recipe!

6. April 12, 2010 8:42 pm by ann Reply

grits are great with braised veal shanks. and for the perfect southern breakfast?? fried fish and grits.

7. April 13, 2010 5:38 am by brian Reply

The Glorious Grit. Grits are the starch/side dish of my life, with the exception of the glorious sweet potato they are everywhere on my dinner table. try goat cheese grits smothered in cremini mushroom and sweet onion gravy.

8. May 10, 2010 5:09 am by thud Reply

The British public has no idea just how good and varied American food can be…..perhaps you should enlighten them.