more recipe testing–discovering the joy of Ritz crackers

mac and Cheese with Ritz Crackers, photo CEW

mac and Cheese with Ritz Crackers

I don’t remember growing up eating Ritz crackers, but since I’ve been testing recipes for the upcoming Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook, I’ve had the pleasure of buying and eating these golden rounds of buttery goodness. Chef Brian Sonoskus at Tupelo Honey Cafe in Asheville has lots of good tricks up his chef’s coat, including crumbling the crackers on mac and cheese and coating fresh gulf oysters with the crumbs. For full recipes, you’ll have to wait for the cookbook out next year. Until then, stay tuned for testing notes.

Brian's Ritzy Oysters (photo Dan Schumacher)

Brian’s Ritzy Oysters (photo Dan Schumacher)

What do you like to do with Ritz or other crackers?

Comments

1. December 8, 2009 6:17 pm by Caitlin Reply

My grandmother famously makes her oyster stuffing with ritz cracker crumbs for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I made it this year when I couldn’t make it home for Thanksgiving. It’s so simple and delicious! It even passed the test of approval by my chef boyfriend who was hesitant of having ritz as an ingredient. I, on the other hand, completely love the buttery goodness like you!

2. December 8, 2009 8:31 pm by Sally Reply

Those oysters look absolutely delicious. When does this cookbook come out?
    I know some people make a mock apple pie with Ritz crackers, but I have never tried it. Ritz crackers are very buttery tasting, so I think they’d make a great topping for mac & cheese.

3. December 10, 2009 5:48 am by ?? Reply

“???? ???” ^^; ?? ???????????

4. December 14, 2009 7:17 am by Sally Reply

I just heard from a guy, who works for a food distributor, that New England is the biggest consumer of Ritz crackers. Apparently, they use it in many seafood stuffings. I don’t think I’ve ever had Ritz seafood stuffing, but will watch for it next time I am up there.

5. December 24, 2009 12:24 am by Rich Reply

That mac and cheese looks good. I usually use panko as a topping for my mac and cheese – but I’m going to try this. Guilty pleasure: ritz, peanut butter, and dark chocolate sauce.

6. December 28, 2009 12:11 pm by Pierino Reply

I’m back in touch with my inner Cracker.

7. January 28, 2010 11:04 am by Lee Ann Foster Reply

This post jogged a memory of a recipe on the back of a Ritz cracker box, way back in the 60′s. It was a mock apple pie recipe using Ritz crackers in place of apple. I was a young teen cook and tried it. I remember only making it once but it was remarkably apple pie like.

I recently came across this said recipe in a newspaper and clipped it. Now we have organic whole wheat Ritz to try it with. I think I’ll dig it out and give it a go, for old time sake.

PS: I read your book last fall and enjoyed the whole journey, and have passed it on to friends and family. Thank you. Lee Ann

8. August 27, 2012 12:20 pm by Suzy Shoppers Reply

Hey Kim,

We discovered your Mac & Cheese recipe and fell in love. So we shared it with our readers at Ritz Crackers page.

Thanks for sharing!

• August 27, 2012 9:10 pm by Kim Reply

Thanks for sharing the recipe. It’s by Brian Sonoskus of Tupelo Honey Café! Yum.