Reward Yourself: Go Green with artichokes, fresh garbanzos, mint, and more

I just got back from a quick 24-hour trip to speak at Berkeley College at Yale (more on that in the next post) and now, 5 airplane and 2 shuttle rides later, it’s time for a relaxing Sunday supper with friends. We’re cooking up a perfect simple menu to celebrate the season: leg of lamb roasted with garlic and herbs; fresh garbanzo beans; and teeny baby artichokes sauteed in extra virgin olive oil, topped with flaky sea salt, fresh mint and thyme. Someone is popping prosecco, another is shaking margaritas and playing Asleep at the Wheel… Last I saw them was at the Broken Spoke in Austin, many Silver Train Margaritas ago…

fresh garbanzos and baby artichokes

prepping the lamb

artichokes with fresh mint, lemon slices, fresh thyme

Comments

1. April 18, 2010 8:32 pm by S Lloyd Reply

fresh garbanzos: It’s being a while that I havent cooked them. Thanks for the reminder. I have got to find out some ideas for cooking them soon

• April 19, 2010 6:50 am by kim Reply

Fresh garbanzos are so good just popped fresh from the pod. It’s hard to not eat them all before even starting to cook them. I just blanched these and drizzled them with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and a bit of fleur de sel. Please let me know how you cook your yours.

2. April 19, 2010 10:50 am by Brian Reply

Actually, I just had these down in San Miguel. They are served there sprinkled with a little lime and salt. Better than popcorn!

3. April 19, 2010 1:12 pm by kim Reply

Are the fresh garbanzos street food? Are they fried and then sprinkled with lime and salt?

4. May 6, 2010 1:34 pm by Stacey Reply

Never even KNEW what fresh garbanzos looked like until this post. Not sure they’ll be available in upstate New York anytime soon. Gorgeous spring meal.

5. May 16, 2010 7:24 am by Cynthia Reply

this meal looks utterly delish! freshly tantalizing to the tastebuds.
    the baby artichokes sound yummy – and I am such a fan of lamb,
    succulent with its own unique flavor.