Book Club Groups, Trail of Crumbs, San Franciso to Birmingham

I don’t know how books help but sometimes they do make us feel a little less alone…

I’ve been very fortunate to participate in many Book Club meetings where readers have gathered to discuss Trail of Crumbs. The book lends itself to lots of good food and drink and some soul searching. It’s amazing how people open up and the most rewarding part for me is to hear other people’s stories.

In many of these meetings/phone Q and As, we share our love of travel and food, our common desire to find a place to call home, a new recipe, stories of adoption and reunions, tolerance, great tips on where to buy Lillet Blanc, restaurant and hotel recommendations, and more books to discover (THE GLASS CASTLE, THE HELP, THREE LITTLE WORDS…)…we laugh a lot and there are some tears, but most importantly, we celebrate our failures and successes and are grateful for words and books that bring us together.

The most recent book club groups–one in San Francisco and one in Birmingham–included me in a Q and A. I loved how many of the questions began, “This is a personal question…” Luckily, during both gatherings, I had had enough Champagne to answer.

Thank you to Melissa McMahon and her group in San Francisco and Francie Macdougall and her group of lovely women in Birmingham.

San Francisco Book Club: Jessica Collins (photographer) Anja Simms, Melissa McMahon, Christina DeChristopher, Laura Sloan

Recipes from Trail of Crumbs/San Francisco Book Club Meeting

Recipes from Trail of Crumbs/San Francisco Book Club Meeting

Comments

1. December 7, 2009 9:32 pm by Melissa McMahon Reply

What a fun night that was! (I was rolling from all the delicious food!) Thanks again for being our gracious “host” that evening- it was truly special.

2. December 8, 2009 4:07 pm by Sally Reply

I haven’t tried the Swedish potato dish yet, but after seeing the photo of it, I’m adding it to my list of must-tries. I’ve now tried nine recipes from Trail of Crumbs and can honestly say I love them all!

3. December 8, 2009 8:09 pm by melissa mcmahon Reply

Sally- The Swedish potato dish is AMAZING…one of my faves, and always a big hit at dinner parties. (so easy, too..) try it! :)

4. December 8, 2009 8:33 pm by Sally Reply

Melissa – What is the dish to the left of the potatoes? I couldn’t read the card. I will definitely be trying the potatoes. Did you use a mandoline to slice them?

5. December 8, 2009 8:34 pm by Sally Reply

oops, I meant to the right…

6. December 9, 2009 8:23 am by leela Reply

hi kim,

your book touched my heart — it swirled thoughts on travel, finding oneself as a young woman, relationships, complexities and, of course, delicious foods! I would love to have attended a book club group with you there — that is so awesome the response you’ve gotten and the pot you’ve stirred up.

your story particularly got to me at this moment, as i’m an american girl living abroad (india) and my life has completely turned upside down! I cook to ground myself in my soul/family/something familiar . . . If you have a moment, stop by — LeelaCyd.com.

Beautiful writing and recipes!

ta ta,

leela

7. December 11, 2009 5:46 pm by Anja Simms Reply

Hello :)

Kim, again, thank you so much for having led our book club. Your life story is amazing and you were so gracious about those pesky personal questions. I can’t wait for your new book!

Sally, the one to the right of the Swedish potatoes was Asparagus au gratin. Very delicious as well.

The Couscous Salad was my favorite, I made it for Thanksgiving dinner and wowed my friends. The flavors are refreshing, light, and summery, but here’s a tip: If you leave out the mint, the flavor combinations in the salad become a playful take on turkey stuffing. A Thanksgiving treat that is not wearing you down.

Anja

8. December 12, 2009 8:06 pm by Sally Reply

Thanks for the info, Anja! I loved the couscous salad, too. Also loved all three of the midnight pastas, and they’re so easy.

9. December 21, 2009 2:02 am by melissa mcmahon Reply

Sally- you know what? I did the potatoes lazy man style. :) I had an hour to get stuff pulled together for the party, and sliced them roughly. The slices were hearty, but it made for a more “beefy” dish- and the potatoes came out flakey and cheesy and…mmmm. (Want some now. :)

10. December 30, 2009 7:39 am by Sally Reply

lol, Melissa – my version of lazy man style is to use my mandoline, but it doesn’t have a thick cut option, so when I try the recipe, I’ll slice them by hand. Does this dish reheat well – or maybe you’ve never had leftovers? :)