A new kind of beef: Recipe development for Cooking Light

Beef Tenderloin with Maple Roasted Pears and Shallots

Beef Tenderloin with Maple Roasted Pears and Shallots

When I eat beef, which isn’t often, I like my cuts with substantial marbling, a nice crust, and more rare than not. I love New York Strip, but I also dream of La Boca’s Entrana Fina, the “outside skirt” grilled lovingly by Chef Jared Ralls. Jared cooks the steak skin on, so the result is a lusty tender piece of meat with a crispy edible skin. Think steak duck confit. In the Warehouse District of New Orleans, La Boca sources beef from Painted Hills Organic Farms, Snake River Farms and local cuts from Whispering Pines.

I am currently developing recipes for Cooking Light magazine. Yes, light, meaning less fat, less marbling, no crispy skin anything. I went to my local butcher with an open mind and bought the leaner cut tenderloin. After several tests–including a tasting with my Cajun-born and very good (non-light) cook brother-in-law Steve, I came up with this lighter and very flavorful recipe. The Maple-roasted pears and shallots (roasted at 425 for 20 minutes) would also be good with pork, duck, and venison. Or on their own with a few greens and toasted pistachios for a meatless course. I sauteed some dandelion greens to balance out the dish–I would definitely eat and serve this to guests again.
This does not mean I am giving up Jared’s steak confit or my strips, but (and this is for all you bacon-loving friends) cooking “light” can be flavorful and satisfying. Look for these recipes and more in a future Cooking Light issue.

Comments

1. January 13, 2009 5:25 pm by Brian Reply

Okay. I am definitely trying the pears and shallots with a roasted pork chop. Looks great!!

2. January 18, 2009 3:57 pm by Kim Reply

Brian,

Let me know when you try the pears with the pork. Apples or quince would be good, too. And did you ever make the warm chicory salad like the one we ate at nopasf?

K

3. January 26, 2009 5:16 pm by Suzy Reply

Kim – this is great!!

4. May 7, 2009 8:05 pm by Hillary Gurman Reply

I would enjoy receiving the 5 books so that I can read each author’s work and somehow feel connected to the stories told and the words written.

One of my many food memories happened in 2004. It was a beautiful summer night when my husband and I entertained our 3 wonderful daughters and their boyfriends at a favorite restaurant in Sunny Isles, Florida (we still go there to this day).

My daughters were dating young men who each had gone to the same same private school they had attended. That was especially joyous to me because I was the alumni coordinator of the school , and what were the chances of having 6 alunmi at the same table!

My husband ordered various small plates of the chef’s best that we passed around and shared. The food was superb and the wine extraordinary (reds and whites from our own collection).

During the course of the eveing, I couldn’t help but gaze at each of my children, searching for hints of their happiness. I didn’t want to analyze — simply, enjoy the moment.

The memory of that night lingers with me. Each time we dine there, I can’t help but look over my shoulder from a seat at the bar to the table where we sat long ago. That perfect night is a lasting memory although, like everything in life, just a slice of the whole pie — albeit, one that brings a smile to my face and a pang to my heart.

5. January 11, 2010 5:17 am by how to cook steaks Reply

thx for sharing,it looks yummmmmy i’d like to share some steak recipes i collectedfrom internet the most popular BBQ steak Video on youtube is bbq pit boys.the most popular group on face book is called chicken fired steak dont go grp steak their has no recipes.twitter…. mmm dont know anyone i can follow their for steak recipes …. they always give you a link to an ads website dont like there.

6. January 12, 2010 8:25 pm by steak recipes Reply

yummy:P thanks for your tips i’d love to follow you.anyway happy new year ~~~~~~~~~~~

7. April 29, 2010 5:27 am by Marie Zimmer Reply

My partner and I served this dish for our supper a couple of days ago. All the family enjoyed it, I most certainly will be offering it often from now on, it certainly is amazing to obtain great new recommendations for recipes together with easy to understand methods to prepare them. Thanks for supplying some.